Should we renovate our existing home or build a new one?
Here are several things to consider:
- Subject to a site inspection – is existing home structurally sound?
- Does the existing layout have the ability to renovate successfully?
- If you do renovate how much is left and is it worthwhile?
- Renovations are limited to the existing floor plan layout, whereas ‘New’ provides a clean slate.
What is the price per square foot?
This question comes up often and is probably the most difficult to answer without knowing the clients plan and defining their spec. This can be a very miss-leading number in many cases and one that we need information to determine. Price per square foot is a variable which is determined by many factors, such as:
- Total square feet finished (Basement finishing lowers sq. ft. price)
- Size of footprint (effects foundation-concrete is expensive and labor intensive)
- Level of finishing (will drive price up or down)
- Type of home (walk-up, 2-storey, rancher, etc.)
How long does it take to build a home?
Depending on the size of the home, the average time is 8-10 months from the day you begin digging to the key hand over. Obviously this time frame can be less than or more but it’s a good starting point.
Keep in mind this does not include the time necessary to plan, budget and receive the home building permit.
What is the single biggest cost driver when building a home?
Without a doubt the finishing that goes into a home is what drives the end price up or down and the square foot price. The big 3 that have the most impact the on price, include:
- Exterior Home- Cladding
Where do I start the process if I am considering building?
We recommend calling our sales team when you’re feeling ready to build. Ideally you will have a lot, idea of house plan and, a budget number in mind. However, this is not always the case. We can help you figure out these 3 pieces to the puzzle with a visit and preliminary conversation. Call 604.302.5223